The Pike amusement park was officially opened on the beach in Long Beach on July 4, 1902. Also known as the "Walk of a Thousand Lights," it became one of the most popular amusement parks on the west coast. After World War II, it was expanded and renamed Nu-Pike. It was closed in 1979.
These postcards are from the Museum's extensive collection. These and many other Pike postcards are collected in the Souvenir Picture Postcard Album of the Long Beach Pike, Album Number Two, available at Long Beach bookstores or through the Museum.
Forward to Nu-Pike photos
Click on the pictures for a larger view.
|Walk of a Thousand Lights||Pike, with Bisby's Spiral Airship, a 1915 Thrill Ride||Bath House 1910|
|Bamboo Slide, 1920s||Jackrabbit Racer, circa 1920 - 1930||Virginia Park, 1940s|
|Looking East From Cedar, 1948||Nu-Pike Midway, 1960s||The Cyclone Racer|
|Laff in the Dark|
Here are some other Pike-related sites:
Pike Website: www.millikanalumni.com/Pike/
Pictures with comments: www.geocities.com/musicfornimrods/nupike.htm
Rebuild the Cyclone Racer: cycloneracer.com/
Story at early pier and pike, illustrated with many fine old photos and postcards: www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal20.html
Copyright © 2003 Long Beach Heritage Museum